As always, I had some dreams about the fresh start of the New Year. Bitter temperatures caused some change to our schedule and desires, though, and my dream-approach was quickly grounded by reality. However, as I have been moving through my days and looking for the little bits of progress I can celebrate, I have been taken by the reminder that the small work really does add up.
We are slowly-but-surely restoring our house to its winter instead of Christmas look; loading up our two green bins of decor reminds me again of how grateful I am that we took the time to be intentional about what we kept for holiday decor. (Full disclosure: the boys each have a small box for their personal ornaments.) We continue to edit our items each year, making sure that we love/treasure/have a story for what fits in our two bins, and I say thank you to our last-year's-Christmas selves each time I unpack or pack those bins. Simplicity truly does make space for what matters.
Last year I shared that I was trying a new "planner". I am so hooked. While it took a little time to figure out what worked best for me, that effort has paid off and I truly do spend less time remembering, organizing, and catching up details. Just a little reminder that we are all unique and our approaches to everyday situations can be as unique as us! For me, after a year of working a "bullet journal", there is nothing fancy to show. I bought a little ringed sketch book from Walmart - under $5! - and used a ruler, pencil, and pen to set up what I wanted. I have it set up for at least two months at a time with a full month view and weekly views. My meal planning is listed as part of the weekly view, as is my week's to-do list. I have sections keeping track of medical appointments, books I am reading, and gift ideas, plus a section with my 2018 goals so they are always in reach.
Getting in the habit of caring for myself has paid off in spades. I truly feel better now that I am in the habit of drinking water, taking Vitamin C, having regular smoothies, etc. The biggest payoff is that I am improving at listening to my body. Today I had a friend come over; in the past, we have gotten together for coffee and donuts, but today I made smoothies and we sat on the couch. We will do donuts again, because *magical food*, but today, when she asked if I had time to get together, I knew that my body would not feel good with extra caffeine and sugar. And she, being a good friend, tried my concoction. (Today was spinach, banana, blueberries, strawberries, a little OJ and water.)
* * * * *
In 2018, I hope to grow in and live with ZEAL - energy and enthusiasm in pursuit of being in and following Christ. Specifically, that looks like taking good care of myself, my relationships, my resources, and my walk with the Lord. It looks like celebrating my people - intentionally recognizing others' growth and achievements and speaking into their lives. It looks like keeping record of the gifts and the fruit. It looks like being quick to speak testimony and hold on to promises. And as the new year unfolds, I am grateful for the reminder that even little steps mean forward progress.
"Every decision we make has an arrow attached to it, pointing us in one direction or another." Lara Casey

Comments
Post a Comment
{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}