First, a confession: we are four days behind on my curb-the-holiday-frenzy version of the advent calendar. (Winter-sports-driving-during-rush-hour was more than we realized, and we've also had to spend time on, well, let's call it character development. Family-member iron sharpening family-member iron, if you will.) We might catch up on the days we have missed, but we might not - because that is the whole point of curbing the frenzy, refusing to bow to the pressures of the season instead of to the Reason for the season.
One of the blessings I am counting this year is the continued lack of materialism in our children. Don't get me wrong: they sure do like presents and don't mind seeing something in a store or commercial and letting us know that it would be awesome to have. However, they truly struggled to come up with gift ideas for themselves because they do not spend much time making want lists. Last night I was ordering a few presents for them, and even for a non-shopper like myself, I was enjoying finding things that I knew would delight them. I hope they carry contentment with them always.
Every December, I post about the ornaments we have purchased to symbolize the boys' accomplishments or fascinations for the year. This year, we wanted to recognize our children's bravery in our move, so we chose ornaments of their favorite landmarks in our new home area. (You can see past ornaments here.)
(Ornament order: Eli, Ish, Toby, Julian)

Comments
Post a Comment
{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}