Bridge-Building: Checking in.


When I started the year with the goal of bridge-building, I had six areas that I wanted to address.  It took nine months to get through three of them.

This is taking a while.

{Really, I shouldn't be too surprised that I am moving slowly.  After all, many things move slowly around here (well, except the kids).  An example that has been in my mind lately: last year, I used my birthday money to buy some fabric to recover our living room accent pillows.  My next birthday is tomorrow, and that cute fabric is still in a nice folded pile near the sewing machine box.  Some day.}

Bridge-building is about recognizing what you wish would happen in your life and then letting the realities of your life establish small, achievable steps over your circumstances - instead of letting your circumstances be your excuse for not taking action.  For instance, if I wish more sleep would happen in my life, I can either say, "Well, that won't happen until the kids start sleeping through the night" OR "Well, I can't ensure getting solid nights of sleep, but I can be disciplined about snagging a nap once a week or stopping my chores by a certain time each night."

Before I start processing my fourth bridge, I need to check in with my other bridges.

Sundays
I feel the most success with the Sundays bridge.  For the most part, I have a much improved attitude:  I start my day aware that I set the tone for my family's Sunday experience and that it is a day I can present to the Lord in a special way.  I am shrugging off what I think others expect from me and being clear with my children what we expect from them.

I still have to give myself a pep-talk on Saturday nights to get our clothes, church bag, and (simplified) meals prepped, but knowing how much of a difference the work makes has been a great motivator to push through my laziness.  

This bridge needs the most maintenance.  The summer and back-to-school schedule got us off track with our weekly kid-dates, but we are hoping October helps us return to that routine.  The addition of the many deadlines/responsibilities that come with three kids in school has also caused a more hurried approach to conversation these days - 3:00 pm until kid bedtime is not nearly a long enough window for homework, fun, food, hygiene. and relaxed communication.  I need to reemploy my script for conversation and make sure I use eye-contact.

However, I am still reveling in the fun that comes from surprising my kids with silliness and trying to say yes as much as I can to their playful requests.  I enjoy these fellows, and I want them to know that.  So I smile through the sigh and try willingly to pay the cost - these boys are worth my best.

I am still enjoying giving myself permission to read and learn (though my book progress feels even slower than before) and I am still regularly getting outside and reclaiming some of my daily activities as chances to recharge.  I am everyday faced with opportunities to surrender and let God be my strength.  When I take the time to reflect on my day, I see His faithfulness all over it.

Still to come: hospitality, marriage-polishing, evening routines.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...