One of Julian's classmates' parents turned forty this week. As we drove away from the school with this knowledge running my thoughts, my brain started doing the math. How old would he be when his son turned 18? Which then led to thoughts of Mark approaching 40; how old would he be when each of our children would turn 18? How old would I be?
This kind of math isn't very satisfying, especially because the ages I was coming up with weren't really that far away from the ages we are now. (So that you don't have to do the math, I will just barely be able still to claim 41 when Eli turns 18, 42 when he graduates from high school. For Julian, though, I will be 50 when he is 18, 51 when he graduates.)
Farther along on the rabbit trail... When Eli is a senior in high school, Toby will be a freshman, Ish will be in eighth grade, and Julian will be in fourth grade. When Eli is a senior in college, Toby will be a freshman, Ish will be a senior in high school, and Julian will be in eighth grade. When Julian is a senior in high school, it is not ridiculous to think that he could have a niece or nephew. What is life?!?!?!?
I don't feel adult enough to be in the position I am in now, let alone ready to be in the positions to come in the not-too-distant-future! But knowing how that clock is ticking is certainly motivating me to keep personally moving forward so that I can teach my children to do the same. And to thank God every time my boys don't mind a mama hug.

Comments
Post a Comment
{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}