When I set this goal, I thought it might be an easier one, since in many ways it is so measurable. Reduce unnecessary possessions, responsibilities, expectations/thoughts/responses to make room for what really matters.
Yet in a world that clamors more more more, just choosing to turn down that volume takes effort. And making space is easier when the only person affected is yourself - but add in five others who haven't necessarily set that same goal, and well, it becomes an art of self-surrender, like most things. I have a lot to process about my progress (or lack thereof) toward making space externally and internally; first up, though, is the easier side of the two - making space physically.
Simply due to the realities of six people living in our house and my own preference for clear surfaces, I do typically stay on top of clutter in our living areas. I have a regular spot to put items for Goodwill, and we try to observe the rule of making space for something new by letting something else go. However, our attic, basement, and playroom closet tend to get the least cleaning/de-cluttering attention in our house.
Early this summer, I finished simplifying our attic storage. Now over three months later, it is still well-organized! I am learning that when I pay attention to what works best for us and then take the time to set that up, it is easier to maintain long term. Only two times so far have I thought, "I wish I hadn't given { } away!" But both of those times, I found a way to use what I did have to make my plan still work without having to buy anything.
With back-to-school, I realized that our playroom closet had to come next in my project list. Our playroom closet is an awesome space resource - and we have used every inch of it. It holds a large filing cabinet for Mark's past sermons, our important documents, and my piano lesson supplies. It has all of our photo albums and kids' baby books/school portfolios. It holds light bulbs and batteries, our vacuum, ironing board (and all of my ironing-yet-to-be-done), our craft supplies, and, until this month, some really random items.
I employed the same strategy as most house projects here - a bite at a time. Which means that the closet looked like it had exploded on the playroom, well, quite regularly. And then my open window of time would be over and I would quickly get everything back behind the Julian-proof door until the next window of time appeared.
A few weeks since its completion, the closet is another source of relief for me. The boys have easily gotten the supplies that they need for homework (without me having to hold and balance and shove things back into place). Our school portfolios are in an easy-to-get location, so I have already been able to keep up with them. And the extra space has meant that Mark could move in the filing system that he used to have on top of our computer desk, which means SPACE for our eyes but also a place to put special creations out of two-year-old reach.
With all of this intentional simplifying, I have noticed myself incorporating space as a decorative style. Part of this approach is to give pause to my over-stimulated mind - four busy boys can provide all the stimulation I need, so sometimes seeing an empty coffee table is far better than a cute little display. Dusting is a faster process, and there is less frustration when a stray ball goes flying - much less broken glass here lately! (Well, as far as picture frames and ornamentation go. We had another hallway light succumb to the dangers of Nerf football and are looking to purchase some more sports-friendly fixtures.)
The basement is next on the list, but first we have some birthdays to celebrate! Good thing I now know exactly what I have and where I keep our very-favorite birthday decorations...
Comments
Post a Comment
{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}