This Is How We Do It: House Projects

There are some people I follow online who have evidently found a way to press pause on a 24 hour day.  At least I think so, because they are homeschooling their children, running non-profit ministries, making amazing and intentional memories with their families - and still accomplishing major projects photographed and shared beautifully with the world.

Well, I don't know how to press pause on a day, so I thought I would show you how WE get projects done around here.  And the answer is: S.L.O.W.L.Y.

On Memorial Day Weekend, we began taking bite-sized steps toward a new look for the dining room.  Below is a sort-of photo documentary of Phase 1.

Part 1: Splotches of paint around all 3 windows showed up.  We had a semi-full can of paint that we thought might work, so we tested it before the Memorial Day paint sale.  The color seemed good, so it was just one sale gallon of paint needed for us!!


Part 2: We painted one full wall and a bit of the sides.  Piano students started to wonder about me when they came to lessons.



Part 3: The schedule really held no room for painting, but I wanted something to show for the time that had passed - so I painted as closely to the piano as I could without having to move furniture.


It looked really wacky, but I could appease myself by standing in that one corner that made it all look done:


And not turning the other direction which would mean seeing this:


Part 3.5: The water-resistant tablecloth arrived, and there was beginning to look like a plan.  Eli put on new light switch and outlet covers.


Part 4: The adults did some heave-ho to move the piano out from the wall, painted, and did a little more heave-ho to get all restored in time for the next day's piano lessons.  Getting closer!


Part 5: Everything done except behind the china cabinet, since that needed to be another two-adult furniture-moving project.


Part 6: We had some eager helpers to get the task finished.



There are still plans for hanging things on the wall and recovering the padded seats (painting the chairs?) - but for now, we are just thankful that the walls are finished.  It took exactly five weeks of little-by-little work, but that wasn't much of a surprise to us.  (Actually, the surprise is that it actually got finished!)  This Is How We Do It.



Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...