the sweet spot

In the business world, the sweet spot is that place where your passions, your skills, and others' needs meet.  Something is achievably and enjoyably produced that benefits someone else.

In baseball, the sweet spot is a particular part of the bat's center.  When the ball hits that exact spot, instead of the batter's hands vibrating from the contact, all of the energy is able to go exactly where it should - getting that ball out of the park.

Wouldn't life be fantastic if it were lived fully in the sweet spot?  If our every efforts were spent in ways that fleshed out our passions and served the world?  If all of our energy went to the exact goal we were swinging for?

You know, when a business meets its customers' needs in a way that matches the skills and passions of the company, it is sweet indeed.  But someone still had to do the grueling data research, clean the office toilets, make the coffee.  In baseball, you have something like an eighth of an inch leeway to hit the sweet spot, without knowing what kind of pitch is even coming your way to begin with.  There are simply too many dynamics at play to guarantee such success perfectly, which is why, when one hits their sweet spot, what follows is elation.  The home run is celebrated with fireworks.  The business pitch that led to a signed contract means a bonus or promotion.

My life currently has an abundance of monotonous tasks that are not how I would choose to spend my day.  I can get distracted by how unfulfilling that can be, or I can spend time focused on finding the sweet spot moments in the midst of the work.

  • when a son's anger subsides the longer I hold him, and I then have room to speak into his heart
  • when Julian snuggles at night with me, singing along to "Jesus, we love You, oh how we love You, You are the One our hearts adore"
  • when I have the right words to say at the right time to a hurting person
  • when Mark and I collaborate on a ministry project and see fruit
  • when a baseball son hears his mama's cheering and refocuses
  • when a piano student overcomes a mental hurdle and falls in love with playing again
  • when outside labor yields aesthetic beauty
  • when we all laugh around the dinner table

We are hitting sweet spots everyday.  They aren't coming as often as the hard work, but that is why they should be followed with elation.  What sweet spots did you hit today?  I'll join you in setting off the fireworks.  Keep your head up - you are doing important work, no matter what it looks like.

Now, please remind me of that when I am picking up all the rice off the dining room carpet tonight.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...