What's been cookin'.

I spend more time in the kitchen then probably any other room in the house. Even my bedroom.  (Hopefully that will take the lead one of these days!  I guess we're waiting on better sleepers or a dishwasher before that happens...)

I have always cooked a lot - for healthy reasons, budget reasons, and just that's-what-my-mama-did reasons.  Now that J officially must avoid all dairy and soy, though, I have an even greater reason to cook.

Here are some of the recipes that have gone down this week, with links to their recipes:

Granola (I like using coconut oil in this one - tastes so good with it.  I can never make enough of this for the boys.)

Beef and Bean Burritos, with these tortillasthese refried beans, and this enchilada sauce

Crockpot shredded bbq chicken (sandwiches) with this bbq sauce (without the Worcestershire sauce, since that has soy)

Potato salad (this mayo works for our whole family, but Julian still throws potatoes in disgust)

Pumpkin bread

Chocolate Oat Cereal Bars (with honey instead of brown rice syrup; I have yet to find a soft granola bar recipe that stays together exceptionally well, but everyone loved how (sweet) these tasted, especially J.)

Sandwich bread (still turns out awesome when using water in place of the milk)

Slow-cooker spaghetti sauce (for spaghetti this week, lasagna next week)

Instant oatmeal (I don't use the full amount of brown sugar, and no one has complained!)

Even though I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and find enjoyment in that, it isn't all peaceful apron-wearing, humming-and-stirring work. In fact, just this week, a friend was going to watch J for me during an appointment, and I showed up at her house all in a tizzy because I can never anticipate how long it takes to make tortillas.  And when the boys are asleep for the night, I reenter the kitchen with its piles of pots and pans and have to remind myself that what is before me is an undeserved gift.  We just watched a Compassion video of a mama in Uganda shopping and cooking for her big family, and I think of her and her little smoky fire every time I am in my electric kitchen.  She and I are united in our desires to do our best for our families.  Perspective is gift in itself, so I thank God for what is in my pot and pray for hers to be abundantly filled.

I am happy to report that I am done cooking for the week a few days early and turning over the fun to my parents!  They are in town to watch the younger 3 while those indiansandpirates whose ages are double-digits are headed out of town for a big-city adventure!  Yippee!  

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...