Bridge-Building Quality Time: nooks and crannies

"Through daily moments of meaningful connection, I realized that the memories my children and I would someday cherish were made in the mundane, everyday moments of daily life - chatting while waiting for the bus, laughing as she helped me make dinner, and snuggling as she watched her favorite show." ~Rachel Macy Stafford, Hands Free Mama
The nooks and crannies are one of my favorite forms of quality time.  They don't have to be scheduled, they don't have to be amazing, they don't require special circumstances - they can just happen.

I used to thrive on these - especially during all of those years as a babysitter.  Get the child to brush his teeth by speaking in an accent?  No problem.  Turn that train ride into a wild game of I Spy?  Can do.  Make whining stop with the Poochy Lip song?  Second nature.  But as a mom, when my job is not solely to entertain and keep safe?  Well, those nooks and crannies require more awareness, more effort.

Yet, the nooks and crannies of quality time are my redemption.  On days when it feels like everything is against me having good conversations or snuggly moments or two hands to meet requests, I can still claim the nooks and crannies.

We can crank the CD in the van while waiting in the preschool drop-off line - it only takes one five-year-old to get the van literally rocking.  (I love you like a love song, Ishy!)  I can say yes to boys making their own lunches - it might be messier, but their pride is so sweet and their work often means lunch happens quicker than my one-handed attempts with the teething brother in the other.  I can surprise boys by snagging them for tickles as they run by me, or by declaring 30 minutes Wii time even though it is a school night, or by serving them dessert first.  Doctors' visits can mean card games in the waiting room, and challenging days can mean sneaking in for an extra snuggle at night.


"Are there tasks within your children's daily routine (such as bedtime, homework, meal preparation, or car pool) that you currently view as an inconvenience that might actually be an opportunity to connect?  How might you change your perspective to see the hidden gifts in the monotony or trying times?" ~Rachel Macy Stafford

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...