Friction, Part 2

Friction has resulted in an increasing awareness of my weaknesses - weaknesses that don't have to show up much when I am in my element, weaknesses that are front and center now.  

I have to say: I miss being comfortable.  I liked doing ok, moving forward.  These times of friction get painful.  Like a mirror showing me that, while I thought I had put together a fun outfit, my sweater has been inside out the whole time.

Conversations continue to remind me that I am afraid of awkward silence.  That I rarely know the right thing to say at the right time.  Or even after the right time.  That I will choose the path of least confrontation instead of saying what might initially hurt but long-run help.  

I have unintentionally absorbed the mantra better safe than sorry.  Instead of taking risks or dreaming big, I make sure to set attainable goals.  My fear and pride marry to produce a safe life that I can manage on my own - when I know I was made for more.  We all were made for more - for life as wide-open, messy canvases displaying God's glory in a way only He can manage.

And so I once again see my rough edges, my need for humility.  I lay out what I think are my strengths, what I see as my weaknesses, and rest in knowing that God's grace is more than enough.  And as I find myself in situations where my weaknesses are blaring, I remember that in those moments, Christ in me gets time to shine.


Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...