My Friday Night Date


Friday night, this gentleman and I went on a date.  The date itself was a bit different than I am used to, since I had to drive and pay, but I have to say - I would definitely say yes if asked out again!

My date did choose our location, a lovely 30-minute drive to a restaurant that he had always wanted to try, thanks to a memorable review from his dad a few years back.  (Boys and their food memories.)

The waitress seemed to think he was going to be picky; when he ordered his salad, she asked what he wanted left off of it.  Um, nothing.  He eats like a man.  As evidenced by his half-a-pound garlic and butter wings appetizer, the polishing off of his honey-mustard dressed, keep the olives, onions, tomatoes, and whatever else salad, the eating of both his and my bread, and the lack of I'm-too-full groan when presented with his huge bowl of fettuccine alfredo with bacon.


His flushed cheeks may show both an excitement of eating tons and the hard work that eating tons requires.  And yes, we did end up getting a box.  Happy Saturday Lunch! 

We caught up on the important things - spring training, March Madness, recess silliness, his current teacher rankings (which basically = a three-way tie since he has had fantastic teachers), and multiplication.  He learned how to use a pasta spoon.  He learned that parking meters are extra kind after 6:00 pm.  (The dude was stressed.  He imagined us getting a ticket around the $500-$1,000 mark.)  

On our way home, I quizzed him to see if I still knew what his love languages are.  Would you rather me do a chore for you, or would you rather play a game together?  Would you rather have a long back rub or hear what I love about you?  After the quiz confirmed my suspicions that he is wired for quality time, I explained the five love languages and then asked if he had any guesses as to what his brothers were.  He was deeply perceptive.

I am really proud of this eight-year-old.  I do not get nearly enough time with him, which must be why I treasure our special moments together.  (Can you tell that he and I both share the same love language?)  But if he is going to keep eating like this, he's going to have to start paying for these dates.  (Just kidding, Eli.  Well, sorta.)

Comments

  1. What a great date night! It warms my heart to see your nurturing heart--so evident even many years ago when you would save up your babysitting money to take your younger brothers out for lunch at Potter's (including fried mozzarella sticks and honey mustard dip!).
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Mom! I am remembering sharing Auntie Anne pretzels at the mall with YOU... :)

      Delete
    2. I was all about the Bavarian pretzels at the mall...not sure if I shared though... ;)

      As another guy who loves food and quality time, when should we schedule a Potter's rendezvous? :-D

      Ben

      Delete
    3. YYYYEEEEESSSS to a rendezvous at Potter's! Now I'm so hungry for a hot hoagie and cheese sticks...

      Delete
  2. So fun!! You've inspired me to go on some more dates here soon with the kids. It's been a while!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...