I used to think that sleep was kind of optional. Not for my kids, of course, but maybe for me. If there was work to be done, then I would stay up and do it, get up early and finish it. And when sleep did come, it was often interrupted by Ish's pain.
But 2013 is different. (Hallelujah, I have a pain-free son!)
This year, I have been thinking about the word purposeful, and how I want that to characterize my year. Purposeful parenting. Purposeful time management. Purposeful interactions. Purposeful awareness. Purposeful giving.
But my first step in being purposeful has surprised me. And that has been purposefully taking care of myself.
It makes sense, though. Because I cannot be very purposeful with a fuzzy brain and a worn out body. So I've been letting some tasks go for the sake of an earlier bedtime. I have been working hard on taking my own vitamins when I dole out the boys'. I have been putting hand lotion in conspicuous places so that I can remember to take care of my cracking hands.
Big whoop, right? But it all really comes down to control. I thought that I had to do everything in addition to what God had set out for the day - which meant that I had to cut out sleep and basic self-care to fit it all in. (Free tip: this wacky thinking leads to a flip-flopping nervous stomach throughout the course of an unpredictable day. Will I be able to pull this all off?) Now I am realizing that if I find myself with the opportunity to listen to someone, help someone, I can cut myself slack in the everything department and just do what is before me. Even if it means I go to bed with dinner's dishes on strike all over the counter. Even if more has been added to my to-do list than accomplished. Even if it looks like I don't have it all together. Because people matter more than tasks, true service matters more than appearance, and taking care of myself means giving God a better vessel.
'Night, all.
Love this and needed this:)
ReplyDelete