Techically, this is supposed to be naptime, and I am supposed to be cleaning up from lunch, making cookies for an event tomorrow, and at least brushing my teeth for an event today. But I had to stop and take a breath of joy.
Afternoon naps for the littlest ones are routine here. These naps take a bit of orchestrating, though, especially since the two nappers are also roommates and vigorous conversationalists. Today, Toby only wanted to lie down if he could play with Mommy's hair (which is not long enough for a casual "sure, I'll lie down by your crib and let my Rapunzel-length hair come through the crib slats" position, so use your imagination). Once the tension on my hair was gone and eyes were closed, I snuck out of the room and headed toward the scene of the lunch catastrophe, only to hear a little Ishy singing, "Mama. Mama." Which meant that his nap was now over.
Time for the perspective that comes from taking a breath of joy! Instead of feeling frustrated about the mess in the dining room or the cookies that aren't baking, I need to choose joy. I love that my boys love me. I love that Toby thinks that my thick and unruly hair is comforting. I love that Ish says Mama in his sweet little voice. I love that Ish is sitting on my lap, typing away on his little keyboard as I type.
Eventually, lunch will get cleaned up and a new mess will come. Cookies will get baked or some type of alternative plan will come into being. I have no idea if my teeth will be brushed or if I will show up to this afternoon's party in my fleece lounge pants, but worse things could happen. For now, I am thankful for the breaths of joy that fill my life.
Ish and I are off to play - hope that you are enjoying your weekend joys!
Afternoon naps for the littlest ones are routine here. These naps take a bit of orchestrating, though, especially since the two nappers are also roommates and vigorous conversationalists. Today, Toby only wanted to lie down if he could play with Mommy's hair (which is not long enough for a casual "sure, I'll lie down by your crib and let my Rapunzel-length hair come through the crib slats" position, so use your imagination). Once the tension on my hair was gone and eyes were closed, I snuck out of the room and headed toward the scene of the lunch catastrophe, only to hear a little Ishy singing, "Mama. Mama." Which meant that his nap was now over.
Time for the perspective that comes from taking a breath of joy! Instead of feeling frustrated about the mess in the dining room or the cookies that aren't baking, I need to choose joy. I love that my boys love me. I love that Toby thinks that my thick and unruly hair is comforting. I love that Ish says Mama in his sweet little voice. I love that Ish is sitting on my lap, typing away on his little keyboard as I type.
Eventually, lunch will get cleaned up and a new mess will come. Cookies will get baked or some type of alternative plan will come into being. I have no idea if my teeth will be brushed or if I will show up to this afternoon's party in my fleece lounge pants, but worse things could happen. For now, I am thankful for the breaths of joy that fill my life.
Ish and I are off to play - hope that you are enjoying your weekend joys!
Comments
Post a Comment
{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}