There are days when I plow through the minutes, mind absorbed with keeping bellies satisfied, tushies clean, and faces smiling. A surprise free moment arises? No problem - I know 400 things that I could accomplish in that moment, and my brain focuses on completing a bonus task.
Sometimes, though, I remember to stop. Stop and breath in joy.
The fuller my life grows, the more I am realizing the importance of living intentionally, of setting up a routine or a reminder so that things are not lost in the speed of life.
Like setting aside a day each month to celebrate and write to Rot, the child we sponsor through Compassion International. Before we became intentional, six months slipped by without a single letter from our family.
Like making Fridays that we're home Family Night, so that we can have a picnic in the living room or have a dance party. We actually forgot about our reggaeton cd until we intentionally scheduled our jam session.
Like looking up from cooking at the countertop to see a picture on the wall that says "laboring in love." Reading that snaps my efforts out of the duty category and into a gift of love.
There are so many things that I have yet to figure out how best to be intentional with them. But one thing that I really don't want to slip away before it is too late is stopping to enjoy the moments that are now. To breathe in joy. So, to help me become intentional in this area, I will be making A Breath of Joy a regular blog feature here at indiansandpirates. Here is the breath of joy that started all of this ruminating...
Saturday night, when Mark and I returned from our little getaway, we walked into the house and were greeted by our boys. When Ish saw us, his smile quickly turned into this spontaneous little giggle, as though he didn't know what to do with all of his happiness. I reached for a snuggle, and laughter bubbled between us, proving our bond undeniable - and I breathed in joy. We are a family, knit together with love.
We'd love to read what breaths of joy you've stopped for lately!
Sometimes, though, I remember to stop. Stop and breath in joy.
The fuller my life grows, the more I am realizing the importance of living intentionally, of setting up a routine or a reminder so that things are not lost in the speed of life.
Like setting aside a day each month to celebrate and write to Rot, the child we sponsor through Compassion International. Before we became intentional, six months slipped by without a single letter from our family.
Like making Fridays that we're home Family Night, so that we can have a picnic in the living room or have a dance party. We actually forgot about our reggaeton cd until we intentionally scheduled our jam session.
Like looking up from cooking at the countertop to see a picture on the wall that says "laboring in love." Reading that snaps my efforts out of the duty category and into a gift of love.
There are so many things that I have yet to figure out how best to be intentional with them. But one thing that I really don't want to slip away before it is too late is stopping to enjoy the moments that are now. To breathe in joy. So, to help me become intentional in this area, I will be making A Breath of Joy a regular blog feature here at indiansandpirates. Here is the breath of joy that started all of this ruminating...
Saturday night, when Mark and I returned from our little getaway, we walked into the house and were greeted by our boys. When Ish saw us, his smile quickly turned into this spontaneous little giggle, as though he didn't know what to do with all of his happiness. I reached for a snuggle, and laughter bubbled between us, proving our bond undeniable - and I breathed in joy. We are a family, knit together with love.
We'd love to read what breaths of joy you've stopped for lately!
I had a breath of joy last night - looking out our upstairs hallway window onto the front sidewalk, I heard girls laughing. It was just about dark, the leaves were swirling around in the fall breeze, and I stopped to catch my breath. My daughters, pre-teen and teenager, the same person, in many ways - different in so many others; walking up the sidewalk from their dance class, hair in ponytails, smiling, laughing, talking as friends, not just sisters. I watched, just for seconds, but I stopped, still in that moment and vowed to remember that picture. Beautiful girls, both inside and out - how lucky am I?
ReplyDeleteFor the past week I've been able to see absolutely amazing sunrises from where I sit when I'm reading my devotions/Bible. When I glance up from reading and see those amazing colors for just 5 min or so that's my breath of joy. Almost makes getting up way before sunrise worth it :). I just keep thinking that if God can give us such great beauty here on earth now....what spectacular sunrises(and sunsets) will we be able to witness after God restores creation the way it was meant to be.
ReplyDeleteCarol
Wonderful blog- very honest and encouraging- thank you.
ReplyDeleteMy one year old son woke up at 3am a few nights ago. I went to his nursery, picked him up out of his crib, and began rocking him with his head on my shoulder. He picked his head up, placed his little hand on my face, and kissed me gently. Talk about a breath of joy... My heart melted, and I was once again in awe of how much I have learned about love- both God's and my own, through being a mom.