The Beginnings, Part 10

February 2001.  Getting ready for an evening out with Mark, I did something that I rarely did; I painted my fingernails.  My friends had been making funny eyebrows amongst themselves all week, so I wanted to be ready.  Just in case.

We drove a bit to our dinner destination, El Bandido.  I started to feel pretty smart about my nails, since this was the very restaurant where my parents had gotten engaged.  But Mark stayed in his chair and not on his knees through a good mexican meal complete with traveling musicians.

And from there we were off... to the mall to look at stereo systems.  Definitely seemed like I might have read into the situation because all my silvery nails were showing off were speaker controls and display panels. 

But just as the night was getting late, we drove to a pier.  We walked around, looking at the bridge casting lights on the river, and then there was some romantic chatter and Mark on his knees.  And a sparkling ring.  And some dialogue that I have never lived down.

"Stephanie Elise, will you marry me?" 

"Yes!"

"Could I put the ring on?"

"I have my gloves on."

And for the record, I remember making that statement as in a just a second, I have to get ready.  Mark remembers it as a dumb blonde moment.  You be the judge, but side with me, k?

On June 1, 2002, we pledged our lives one to the other, and we exchanged rings.  And neither of us had gloves on.

Happy 9th Anniversary, B.

*This is the end of The Beginnings, but our life together had just begun. 
And it keeps getting better.*

Comments

  1. i've really enjoyed this series. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!!

    love,
    the lil sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this post I couldn't help but think of when Ben asked me to marry him, and I stupidly asked him in reply "Are you sure?" :) So, dumb blonde moment or not, Steph, at least your first response was "yes".

    Happy Anniversary, Mark and Steph! We love you guys!

    Annie and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT story! :)
    When Rob asked me, I just cried. After I calmed down I made him ask me again so I could say, "yes!" :)
    The comment about the gloves being in the way makes perfect sense to me!
    - Heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

{Please help us maintain a little bit of internet anonymity by not including our last name in your comments.}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...